Friday, February 24, 2006

Thoughts From A Friend On His Current Reading

You were quite right about Never Let Me Go -- a brilliant, haunting book, indeed. As you say, when K.I. is on, he's on.

I do recommend The Sea -- Banville's a talented writer and the book is a quick read but weighty and moving nonetheless.

I quite enjoyed A Slight Trick of The Mind despite Cullin's occasionally clunky dialogue, which perhaps owes something to the fact that he's American. Still, if you are a Sherlock Holmes fan, I recommend it.

I also recently finished The Rings of Saturn by W.G. Sebald. I find Sebald's writing (in translation) to be beautiful and moving like nothing else I've read. But he is definitely an aquired taste, and I seem to recall that Austerlitz didn't do much for you, so you'll probably want to skip this one.

Just started The Accidental, which I am enjoying very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment