Monday, January 03, 2011

More thoughts on Conroy's My Reading Life

In My Reading Life, Pat Conroy writes that he tries to read a minimum of 200 pages a day. That's an extraordinary undertaking. I attempt to read no fewer than 100 pages each day. If Conroy succeeds in his mission, I believe that he truly has accomplished his desire to "out read a generation."

Conroy's book inspired me to compile a list of book I want to read. Some were directly the result of Conroy's suggestion -- Gone With The Wind, War and Peace, Deliverance and the poetry of James Dickey, and the Lord of the Rings Trilogy, which I've read many times before, but not in some years.

I've also added Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove, Conroy's own The Great Santini and Willa Cather's Death Comes For the Archbishop, a book I have not read in many years.

No comments:

Post a Comment