Friday, January 11, 2019

Launching 2019 alongside the honorable Charles Dickens

My reading in 2019 began, as all years should begin, with a novel by Charles Dickens.

The novel, in this instance, was Our Mutual Friend by Charles Dickens. This is a book I had not previously read, and I felt it was time I added it to my life-time list.

I found it to be a fine novel, typical of previous works by Mr. Dickens, defending the poor and downtrodden, condemning hypocrisy in society. It is sentimental, but I am sentimental, so I am not bothered by the prevalence of Dickens' tendency to the romantic or the happy ending.

I like happy endings.

Dickens remains my favorite writer.  Our Mutual Friend was his final complete book. He died before finishing The Mystery of Edwin Drood.

Currently Reading

Flash, The Making of Weegee The Famous by Christopher Bonanos
Voodoo River, Robert Crais
The League of Regrettable Sidekicks, Jon Morris

No comments:

Post a Comment