The Guardian described as “low key.”
It’s also briefer than in the past. There are 13 nominated books. Normally, 18 to 24 books make the long list.
Also on the long list are:
- Darkmans, Nicola Barker
- Self Help, Edward Docx
- The Gift Of Rain, Tan Twan Eng
- The Gathering, Anne Enright
- The Reluctant Fundamentalist, Mohsin Hamid
- The Welsh Girl, Peter Ho Davies
- Mister Pip, Lloyd Jones
- Gifted, Nikita Lalwani
- What Was Lost, Catherine O’Flynn
- Consolation, Michael Redhill
- Animal’s People, Indra Sinha
- Winnie & Wolf by A.N. Wilson
The Man Booker shortlist will be announced September 6 and the winner will be announced October 16.